Sunday, June 12, 2011

kissinglass

The shop featured this week is kissinglass

She makes recycled glass vases, candleholders, and lightcatchers.
She uses a technique of applying polymer clay to recycled glass to create her unique products.

Visit her etsy shop to see more of her recycled glass creations!
 http://www.etsy.com/shop/kissinglass?ref=pr_shop_more









Here are some questions anwsered by kissinglass
1. How would you define your craft?
I make functional art using anything glass destined for the trash can that cannot be recycled by usual methods, in most cities. I work with polymer clay, glass paint and the recycled glass as my mediums of choice. I call what I do Recycled Glass Art.

2. What inspired you to begin your craft in the first place?
As a starving fine art student in my early twenties, I wanted to make Christmas gifts for friends and family using what I had at hand. I chose polymer clay because of its fabulous versatility and high light fastness and I have always had an affinity for glass. Trial and error finally gave me a result I was happy with. Looking back now, with the vast knowledge of how different products work (or don’t work with one another) I was actually quite lucky to come up with this recipe so fast. It has now been more than 16 years that I have been creating work using this technique.

3. What is your most favorite part of your craft?
I love working with things people have discarded. I also continue to learn new things from my chosen mediums and find new color combinations and inspiration from my outdoor surroundings.

4. What is the hardest part of your craft?
Without a doubt, selling it. Although, Etsy is turning out to be a lot of fun, art shows and markets are starting to be quite grueling and from time to time I get wicked neck aches from all the detail work I do. I am sure most artisans can identify.

5. What is your favorite item to make like (vases, light catchers, candleholders)?
Whatever my (canvas) happens to be, the work I like to do most, are the custom orders. I like getting together with a potential client and working out something that between us can be truly unique and special.

6. Where do you get the materials for your craft?
I scavenge the Goodwill, Salvation Army and garage sales, though most of the glass, like the light bulbs people save for me. I work in an art store part time, so I get all my paints and clay from them.

7. Are there any other crafts you enjoy doing?
Since I have a fine art background I have done everything there is to do with pencils, paint and modeling materials. Any chance I get at the art store to play with something new, I take it.

8. Do you sell your products anywhere other than Etsy? Where?
I've sold my work at many different arts and craft shows in Ontario and Canada over the years. I also have a many little shops that carry my work year round in Ontario. Groundwaves in Perth Ontario Canada has been a loyal customer of mine for over 10 years. Anytime I have to go in to Groundwaves to do business with them, it's hard to concentrate because of all the beautiful stuff they have in there!


Visit her profile on etsy here
http://www.etsy.com/people/kissinglass


4 comments:

  1. Beautiful pieces!

    Stopping by from Bloggin' Buddies on etsy!

    have a great day!

    <><
    http://christiecottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this beautiful feature, it is great to discover a new shop on ETSY.

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Lovely blog!
    BlackFriday

    ReplyDelete

Followers